BY CECILIA PADILLA-BRILL
Botanica in Silver Lake received nods and misses by restaurant reviewer Besha Rodell of the LA Weekly. Coined as a marketplace, restaurant and magazine (which has yet to materialize), one of Botanica’s stand out dishes include the kofte kebabs with their Japanese sweet potato dressed in pert salsa verde. What were the misses? Rodell stated that the slow-roasted king salmon was “pale and tasteless” and that the acid content of the coal-roasted eggplant and Sungold tomatoes “was enough to lightly sear my taste buds.” Regardless of the mixed review, Botanica’s owners, Heather Sperling and Emily Fiffer, and their staff were recognized for their gracious hospitality. Botanica is located in the 1600 block of Silver Lake Boulevard in Silver Lake.
More Shopper & Diner News:
- There’s a new player coming to Echo Park’s small bites-coffee shop scene by the name of Triniti, Eater LA reports. Destroyer vet and acclaimed chef Joseph Geiskoph will be in charge of the kitchen at the small cafe, which will also cook up late night meals for The Echo nightclub in the same building. If all things go as planned, the restaurant should be in full operation by the end of the month. Triniti is located in the 1800 block of Sunset Boulevard in Echo Park.
- There’s some movement going on among L&E Oyster Bar’s executive team, Eater LA reports. Husband and wife team chef Spencer Bezaire and wine director Sabrina Bezaire are relocating to Seattle. Sous chef Dominique Crisp is taking over as executive chef. L&E Oyster Bar is located in the 1600 block of Silver Lake Boulevard in Los Silver Lake.
- Taco spots in Boyle Heights, East L.A. and Eagle Rock all made the cut on Los Angeles Magazine’s list of “The 25 Best Tacos in Los Angeles.” Mentions include Boyle Heights eateries Carnitas El Momo for its carnitas tacos; Mariscos Jalisco for its shrimp tacos dorados; Birrieria Nochistlán for its birría taco and Los Originales Tacos Arabes De Puebla for its tacos arabes. East L.A. spots include Tacos Quetzalcoatl for its Omega-2 taco and Tacos Cuernavaca for its cecina taco. Eagle Rock’s Cacao Mexicatessen was named for its sea urchin chile güero taco.
Cecilia Padilla-Brill is a communications writer and journalist. She writes news, health, education and feature stories. Cecilia is currently working on her first novel. She has lived in Echo Park since 1999.
- Sign up for The Eastsider’s Good Taste email newsletter with food related items from The Shopper & Diner Report and other sources (expect special offers from our business partners, too).
- If you want to share Eastside restaurant reviews, recipes and cooking & shopping tips, sign up for The Good Taste Facebook Group
Deals & Discounts for Eastsider Readers