News & Notes From Across The Eastside
- Steve Lopez visits with Rebekah and Steve Adams, a former Silver Lake couple whose search for an affordable house to buy took them to Pacoima. The house is small and the couple’s chihuahua died after being attacked by a neighbor’s pit bull. But overall the Adamses are happy with their new neighborhood. “You’ve got ice cream trucks, and you’ve got dads coming out with their kids to buy them ice cream,” said Steve Adams. “I didn’t see that in Silver Lake.” L.A. Times
- The people behind Echo Park’s Cactus Store, Max Martin and Carlos Morera, have authored a book — Xerophile — about cactus collectors who search for rare species. “People get obsessed because a lot of [cactuses] are very hard to find,” said Martin. “It’s a treasure hunt almost.” L.A. Weekly
- A water main break early this morning flooded yards in the 400 block of Isabel Street in Cypress Park. NBC4
- The first batch of mail-in ballots will be sent out today in preparation for the 51st Assembly District primary on Oct. 3. The last day to register to vote online is Sept. 18. The 51st Assembly District covers most of the Eastside, stretching from Echo Park and Silver Lake on the west, Eagle Rock and Highland Park on the north and El Sereno and unincorporated East Los Angeles on the east. KPCC
- The Eastsider thanks a reader from Echo Park who wishes to remain anonymous for purchasing a Reader Sponsorship.
- Got a news tip or photo to share? Submit it here
Deals & Discounts for Eastsider Readers
Get your Eastsider Reader Benefits Card today with the purchase of a Reader Sponsorship and start enjoying the discounts and deals offered by the participating merchants.